Saturday 14 September 2013

Ideas for DigiPak (CD Cover)


Ideas for DigiPak (CD Cover)

  •   I have an idea for my digipak, which could go either way. Except taking a photograph of the artist and manipulating it in Photoshop,  and that I paint the artist (an illustration CD cover).
Examples of paintings/or illustrations of CD Covers


  I got this idea from this website, to show that it has been done before and been used effectively: http://www.redefinemag.com/2011/year-end-list-album-cover-art-illustration-painting-drawing/

  For example; Bon Iver’s “Self Titled” CD Cover is a mixed-medium piece. The artist, Gregory Euclide, also did a second painting for Bon Iver’s single “Calgary”.  Euclide and Daniel Murphy (design & layout) tried to create themes within the picture to do with “memory loss, birth, death, growth and decay” and was created with a mix of painting, drawing and natural materials e.g.; leaves, dirt etc.

  Also, a conceptual piece for an illustration artwork Gillian Welch used for her album cover called “The Harrow & the Harvest”, by John Dyer Baizley (artist & illustrator). The artist uses “symbolism, ornamentation, and thoughtful compositions” to tell stories within a confined working area (the cover).





~
  •   Or the alternative idea is to create a photograph with meaning and how genre comes across in the album artwork.


  Here’s one website when I researched on iconic album covers; http://now-here-this.timeout.com/2013/08/24/londons-top-ten-iconic-album-covers/

  For example; The Beatles’ cover art (“Abbey Road”) of them walking across a road one-by-one is known by nearly everyone. The photographer, Iain Macmillan, had 10 minutes to get the shot while a policeman held up the traffic.

-----------------------------------------

 
(Researching CD cover ideas and I could take inspiration from it and create an image, not exactly like it because my music video and her music videos are form different genres).
  • 19-11-13 ~ I tried to take inspiration from the album cover of Madonna's "Celebration". This was just an idea of mine, and I don't know if I will use it for my actual CD cover but it doesn't matter, this was an experiment with stills. As you can see below.
  • Madonna's art pop/pop culture album artwork gets inspiration from Andy Warhols pop art era. I have only used the black and white saturation or threshold for the lines of the face and the shadow detail. Unfortunately, after changing the photograph (still) the facial features didn't show up so I had to paint it on a separate layer with a pixellated brush to get the same hard edges as the rest of the threshold effect I've created by the filter.
Here is the original image I worked from.
My experiments with threshold image looks for an example still I took from filming for my music video.

  •   01/12/13 ~ For this tester I've taken inspiration from Amy MacDonald's album covers. For example; "A Curious Thing" by Amy MacDonald shows the singer towards the top right hand corner of the album cover, looking at you but as well she seems to face the opposite way. This is what I've done in my interpretation of hers. I've brought out all of the auburn-ish/red colours in the photo and blurred out the background with black, to make her the central figure. I do like this one a lot because it shows what genre of music she creates like Amy MacDonald has done in her album cover i.e.; indie rock, alternative rock, folk.

  • 18/01/14 - Here is my final threshold image. All I've done is overlap the second image (above) with the original image I used and lessened the opacity of the layer above (the middle image in the timeline above). I like this and I will use it because it gives a personal feel to the image like i.e.; this is where she was brought up. The pose of her looking away also gives a personal feel to the image due to the shot taken during filming.
~



Amy MacDonald's "A Curious Thing" album cover I took inspiration from.

My experiments with a shot I took to try and make it similar to Amy MacDonald's album covers (not just the one shown above). On Gimp (a free photo editing software and custom downloadable brushes)I brightened her face up and made her eye makeup darker. I also multiplied and overlayed the shot with filters to make the red-ish brown colour be the dominant colour. 




 ~





  •   14/01/14 ~ I have two album cover drafts. The first one is shown to be a shot taken whilst filming Shoot #1. I chose the handwriting-style font to create a more realistic feel to the album cover, like Amy MacDonald has done with hers, without copying her style of album art exactly. In the second one, is shown an image I've already considered using for my album artwork but changed the colours to create a more reddish look and more of a modern indie look to the album. I will decide soon whether I'll go for no.1 or 2.
  •   22/01/14 ~ I have decided to choose the reddish album cover for my CD Cover DigiPak. This is because of the same look that Amy MacDonald's "A Curious Thing" album and which sells herself. I also wanted to get across a personal effect to the album with the use of a handwriting font. I made the font not straight and going off up and getting smaller to give a realistic feel to the album; almost like an autograph.
I found her old album cover, like my reddish filtered album cover that I've chosen for my project.
  • 26/01/14 ~ I have found another Amy MacDonald album cover which is like what I've decided to do for my album cover. I preferred my cherry-red colour to her orange tinted album art because my lead singer has reddish auburn hair so it'll bring out the red tones more.
 Back of the CD Cover;


------------------------------------

This was what it looked like before the rough white borders
This is what I changed it into


  • 27/01/14 ~ I have changed the original final CD Cover look for one that has white rough edges over it. I decided this because it looked less neat and create a more indie pop/rock genre to the cover.

  • 31/01/14 ~ Inside cover of CD





No comments:

Post a Comment